WARNING! This includes spoilers for the whole Harry Potter series.
- Why was Harry only returned to the Dursleys a day after the attack?
Here’s the timeline:
The evening of the 31st of October: you-know-who tries to kill Harry
The morning of the 1st of November: Vernon Dursley goes to work, notices strange men in cloaks celebrating
The evening of the 1st of November: Hagrid brings Harry to Privet Drive
Why did the journey take a whole day?
- During the Second Wizarding War, there was a taboo on voldemort’s name. A lot of people think that the reason why a lot of people were scared to speak his name out loud in the books was that the taboo already existed during the First Wizarding War, which is the only explanation that really makes sense. Why, then, does Dumbledore tell McGonagall “”My dear Professor, surely a sensible person like yourself can call him by his name? All this ‘You- Know-Who’ nonsense — for eleven years I have been trying to persuade people to call him by his proper name.”
- Dumbledore knew even then that Harry’s scar would come in useful.
“Couldn’t you do something about it, Dumbledore?”
“Even if I could, I wouldn’t. Scars can come in handy.”
- Dumbledore’s and Sirius’ deaths were foreshadowed like crazy while Fred’s wasn’t at all
- There are so many hints at future characters and events in the second chapter- Mrs. Figg, Mr. Tibbles, Aunt Marge, parseltongue etc.
- How did James ever become Head Boy? It’s so inconsistent with everything we’ve seen about him.
- Hagrid gives Dudley a tail even though it’s Vernon who offended him by saying “I AM NOT PAYING FOR SOME CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH HIM MAGIC TRICKS!” In fact, Dudley doesn’t say a word throughout the whole scene and doesn’t provoke Hagrid in any way.
- Why did First Years need to buy “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” despite not having “Care of Magical Creatures” until third year?
Hagrid holding Harry: https://pinterest.com/pin/362469469982804799/
Dumbledore and McGonagall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYHbdh9yTM
Mrs. Figg: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Arabella_Figg
James Potter: http://wizardsandwhatnot.com/2017/04/25/james-potter/
These images belong to Warner Bros and are used under the fair use provision of copyright law.